Malachi 3:10 (NKJV)
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts,… “ If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing,That there will not be room enough to receive it.”
If only when they quote it-they also explain its redemptive-historical context.
1. It was especially given to Levites and priest-not ordinary members.
2. The full tithe is not the tithe of the ordinary Israelites -bu thtose of the Levites.
3. The food is literally crops harvested and given to Levites.
4. The Temple is a building still standing that time.
5. It is to satisfy their need-not greed.
6. It is historically conditioned promise and command. Appropriating it for the NT times -it must pass thru the prism of the New Covenant and the Redemption brought by the Lord Jesus Christ.
7. The curse is also historically conditioned. It applies first to the priest and Levites-before it is before the ordinary Jews.
8. The curse must be also interpreted thru the prism of the New Covenant and the Redemption brought by the Lord Jesus Christ.
9. The Old Covenant must be sustained by the Temple Sacrifices.
10. The Temple must be manned by Levites and priests-who also needs sustainance and support.
11. Daily sacrifices is meant to cover sins of the Holy People
12. In AD 70-the firewood and crops and livestock were hijack and prevented by Zealots in-fighting.
13. This provoke the wrath of God -pending due to the crucifixion of the SOn of the Landowner. This culminated in the Fall of Jeruslaem and the burning of the Temple to the ground.
14. There is no more holy land-holy temple-from that time on.
15. Tithes are no longer required to support the Temple Sacrifices.
16. The Age of Messiah is an age of Missions or Kingdom expansion.
17. In this age -His kingdom will be supported freely by His people.It is not tax because His people are also his children. Th…ey are tax-exempted.
18. In this age-true worshippers-worship God in SPirit and in Truth. No longer through manmade temples nor fleshly and outward ceremonies. Returning back to that scheme of things is not being faithful-but being retrogressive and a misunderstanding of God’s purpose in history.